Complaint Handling – Hints and Tips – second in a series of five
When a patient wants to make a complaint….
- Always provide a copy of the leaflet, ‘Listening, Responding, Improving’.
- Advise the complainant about PALS (the Patient Advice and Liaison Service). PALS may be able to liaise with the patient and the practice to resolve the problem before it escalates.
- Discuss with the complainant whether a meeting with the Practice Manager and/or the GP concerned would be appropriate.
- Would mediation be appropriate? See ‘Listening, Responding, Improving’ for more information and contact Customer Services to activate.
- Does the complainant need help in making the complaint? Advise about ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service).